Week 7

We were asked to read Maus this week. I could tell from the cover that it would be a compelling book. It was interesting to me at first that they would make the characters cats and mice. At first I thought it was so the heavy story would be more approachable. Once I had read a fair bit of it I realized that it was very fitting. The clear distinction and differences worked nicely. Plus we all have a built in notion of how cats and mice relate. That relationship has been explored and eluded to throughout history.

As far as the reading goes, it was slow for me at first but the illustrations kept me moving. Eventually the story really got started and dragged me in. I enjoy the relationship between the artists images and the story being told. They feel so seperate and that they would stand independently but yet work so well together.

It was a good read overall and I can really understand why this made the impact that it did.