This week I read American Born Chinese. I originally chose to read King but could not get into it. I was pleasantly surprised when I picked up American Born Chinese that it was extremely easy to get sucked in.
It was nice that you did not need to be Chinese or any sort of Asian to understand where the author was coming from and what he was trying to communicate. The style was so simple and fun. It was what attracted me first. It just screamed at me ' Fun read'!
I really enjoyed how there are many little parts that are all interrelated. The author was able to jump from one into another and back again with ease. The transitions were well executed.
One of my favorites was the monkey king. It was humorous but so clearly related a truth about trying to assimilate into a society. The poor king wanted nothing more than to go to a party with is peers, his equals, but was unable because of his lack of footwear. I thought that naturally he would just fight back and stand up for himself, which he did, but I was taken aback when he left the party still dwelling on it. He was unable to let it go. He wanted to badly to fit in that he would try wearing shoes even though it was against his nature.
This was such a cleverly written book. It amuses you the whole time while slipping in a serious underlying theme. I think for most people it would make them think twice what they say after reading this. I think it can make people see that the people they crack jokes at know exactly how they are seen in your eyes.
I was happy to read this front to back without any interruptions. This would be the first comic from this class that I really got wrapped up in and you could not pry away from me.