Week 6

So for this week I read Air Pirate Funnies a long with a few of the comics passed around in class. Im not sure how to approach writing about these comics. I want to be honest but I sort of surprised myself with my reaction to this type of comic.

All in all...I really don't like the underground generation of comics. They all seem to rub me the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, I am not a person who shies from dirty jokes, dark humor...Im as sick minded as the rest of us. But there is just ..something, that I don't like about them.

The art for one seems rough most of the time. Like I said in my last post, rough and sketchy is the way I work. But these comics are a different kind of rough. It is as if they make them look bad on purpose. Its as if they are making a statement, look at us we can make comics people will read too and they can be ugly! It feels in some ways like they are trying to hard to be controversial. If it was one artists preference to work in such a way and that was just his style that would be one thing but its a whole group of artists jumping on this bandwagon. So it is more of a movement and less of a personal exploration. I do find it interesting that the characters spoof on a lot of what was popular at the time, ducks, Micky mouse. Once again that goes back to them trying to be racy.

I understand some may find my reaction harsh, but I am a gut reaction first kind of person and then I analyze why I felt that way. So I am not trying to say the comics aren't important to the advancement of comics as a whole, but if I had the choice to read these again I would not.