This week I chose to read Contract With God. My first impression was that the art style was very appealing. I myself work in a rough sketchy manner. I don't really put a polish on things. I enjoy the finess and personality you can get with line. So of course this comic was perfect for me. Eisner has a way with line that I just fall in love with. He is able to communicate a range of emotions through his line weight and rendering alone. The image of Hersh walking int he rain in the first panel has such a heaviness. The rain feels incredibly heavy and overwhelming.
Though I did often get distracted by the artwork I did get into the story. It is a tale that I feel can resonate with anyone. It is something that anyone could relate with in one capacity or another. We all know what its like to devote ourselves to something only to have things fall through. We all know what its like to lose hope, faith, patience. The entire comic just feels...human. There is nothing fake or unbelievable about it. This is a story that I feel like my grandfather would tell me.
All together this comic was a great balance of great visual with even better story telling. I really enjoyed reading this.