Week 3

This week we were asked to read a few classic comic strips. I chose to read Calvin Hobbes. I never really read much of it in the past so I was pretty excited to finally get a chance. In grade school I used to read a lot of Garfield but for some reason wasn't attracted to Calvin and Hobbes.

While reading the strip I realized that I may have not been interested because I was already a kid doing silly things, playing imaginary games. The strip is almost a light hearted reminsce for older viewers. Most of the humor comes out of his antics. When I read the strip I think back to what I would do/ say as a kid and it makes it more entertaining. A lot of the monsters under the bed strips reminded me of myself. I always had little conversations just like these with myself and the monsters before I would go to sleep.

The strip also does a great job of switching between light hearted humor and social commentary. This may be another reason why I enjoyed this comic more as an adult.